China Policy Program
The China Policy Program was created in 1998 as a constituent "program" under
the Elliott School, but affiliated with the Sigur Center for Asian Studies.
It is directed by Professor David Shambaugh, Professor of Political Science & International
Affairs and a leading international authority on contemporary China and Asian
affairs. The China Policy Program was created to build upon the Elliott School's
longstanding expertise and involvement in U.S.-China relations and contemporary
Chinese affairs and to serve primarily as an outreach program to the policy
community in Washington, officials and China specialists around the world,
the media, and the public.
Specifically, the China Policy Program is involved in the following types
- Sponsoring occasional public lectures and panel discussions open to the
public and GW community.
- Sponsoring private scholarly and policy-related meetings of China specialists
and government officials.
- Sponsoring the "Contemporary China Discussion Group" (a regular
private meeting of Washington's leading China experts drawn from academia,
think tanks, the intelligence community, Congressional staff, and executive
- Sponsoring "policy dialogues" of a reasonably high-level, with
participants from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Europe, and around Asia.
- Sponsoring specialized "Track II" delegations to China, Hong
Kong, and Taiwan.
- Receiving and briefing visiting delegations from China, Hong Kong, and
- Hosting individual officials, scholars, and China specialists from around
- Sponsoring media briefings, pegged to current and medium-term events in
China and U.S.-China relations.
- Sponsoring tailored briefings for Executive Branch officials, Congressional
staff, and Members of Congress related to China and U.S.-China relations.
- Sponsoring tailored briefings for members of the corporate community related
- Working with select departments and offices in the U.S. Government to
convene symposia of governmental experts with non-governmental specialists
on refined topics relate to China, Taiwan, and U.S.-China relations.
- Sponsoring visiting scholars from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and occasionally
In recent years the China Policy Program has sponsored activities in all
of these areas.
For further information please contact the Director, Professor David Shambaugh, at 202-994-5887 or email@example.com.